Post a Topic

Reply To: What if I'm completely stumped by a question?

Activity Forums USMLE Step 1 Forum What if I'm completely stumped by a question? Reply To: What if I'm completely stumped by a question?

Dan S., MST USMLE Tutor
Mod
USMLE ExpertMD or DOContributor

One thing I found to be helpful was recognizing that, generally, each answer choice corresponds to a particular disease. Therefore, if you recognize that an answer choice is referring to some disease, and that disease doesn’t fit with the question stem, knock that answer off. For instance, if the question is asking about complications of a lung disease that you have identified as obstructive based on the PFTs they give you, and you see one of the answers referring to hypercalcemia, which, among lung diseases, you associate with sarcoidosis (or other granulomatous diseases), you can knock that answer option off. So you don’t necessarily need to know that the answer isn’t true for the disease in question to eliminate it; if you know that it is true of another disease of that organ system that doesn’t fit with the data in the question, you’re almost always safe crossing it out.