Post a Topic

Reply To: Should I focus on my incorrect UWorld questions or take it a second time?

Activity Forums USMLE Step 1 Forum Should I focus on my incorrect UWorld questions or take it a second time? Reply To: Should I focus on my incorrect UWorld questions or take it a second time?

Dan S., MST USMLE Tutor
Mod
USMLE ExpertMD or DOContributor

We’ve all got different takes on this, and as David said, 100% dependent on you and how you learn best.

Here’s another approach if you’ve got the time for it:
Do random, 40q, timed blocks from the beginning (these won’t go great at the start – that’s okay). This way you get used to the format, the timing, you start to build connections between topics, and you can use your performance to track progress.
As you review material, do blocks of incorrect questions pertaining to that block for a deep dive. E.g. by the time you hit cardio, if you’ve done some random blocks you’ll have a chunk of cardio incorrects to work through.

I think going through once, and then going through again only looking at incorrects is sort of based on a false presumption that you knew the questions you got right really well and that you had no idea on the questions you got wrong. If you have two questions you are fifty-fifty on, and on one you guess right and the other you guess wrong, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to just re-review one of the two down the line.