Post a Topic

Reply To: What if I'm completely stumped by a question?

Activity Forums USMLE Step 1 Forum What if I'm completely stumped by a question? Reply To: What if I'm completely stumped by a question?

Here to echo a little bit of Sana’s thinking. STEP 1 is a longgg exam, with 280 or so questions. Don’t let yourself die on the hill for one question you are likely to not get right in any universe.

For example, a friend once got a question on how to treat a jellyfish sting. Nowhere in class nor a book did he know that answer. Was it saline? Cold tap water? Hot tap water? Urine?

He simply tried to narrow it down to the ones he knew it wasn’t (the old wives tail of peeing on a sting is certainly not the right answer and tried to improve his odds from 20% to 33%. Over an exam with 280 questions, saving your time for others while trying to at least improve your odds with a quick ‘process of elimination’ pass can help you pick up a couple of points here and there. More importantly, it will prevent you from falling into a quicksand for a question you just don’t know.