Post a Comment

Randomized vs Subject-Specific UWorld Questions

Activity Forums USMLE Step 1 Forum Randomized vs Subject-Specific UWorld Questions

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dr. David Delnegro MST USMLE Tutor Dr. David Delnegro MST USMLE Tutor 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    agroberts

A question that I frequently find students asking me is whether they should be taking UWorld questions “randomized” or by subject. The answer depends on where you are in your study period and how many weeks away you are from your Step 1 exam.
    If you are in the pre-dedicated study period or in the first half of your dedicated study period (I.e. weeks 1-4 if you have 8 weeks of dedicated) I recommending sticking to subject-specific UW Questions on Tutor mode. This is meant to build your knowledge base and keep you from feeling overwhelmed by randomized blocks. Try to line up your subject-specific UWorld blocks in a way that either correspond to the section you are reading in FA that day or covering in your med classes. In the last 4-5 weeks before your test, switch to randomized, timed UWQ blocks and practice tests. At this point you will be much more comfortable with the material and tackling randomized question will feel much more do-able and less overwhelming. Plus you can really start to identify which topics you struggle most in so that you can dedicate a few hours or a day each week to focus on those tough topics/concepts.

Agree here! Doing them by system especially early lets you see the little nuances in pathology that aren’t apparent if you only see a cardiology question every 10 or so questions. Later on, you shift gears and want to be able to switch between different topics and subjects like the real deal, so mixed makes sense!

2+
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.